Annex 4: Stewarding Group terms of reference and membership
Terms of reference
As required by the remit and terms of reference for the Citizens’ Assembly of Scotland, the Conveners will appoint a Stewarding Group. This Group will provide strategic advice to Conveners in delivering that remit and terms of reference, in particular to ensure that all aspects of the planning of the Assembly and the Assembly meetings proceed in accordance with the underpinning principles set out in that remit and terms of reference.
The Group will provide strategic expert advice to Conveners, and the Secretariat acting on their behalf, on the planning and delivery of the Assembly. This will include:
- advising on planning and preparations for Assembly meetings and reviewing Assembly meetings;
- advising on establishment of relevant governance arrangements, including in relation to members conduct, transparency and reporting and Assembly proceedings;
- quality assurance of the overall process of delivery and the evidence presented to the Assembly, to ensure the objectivity and impartiality of methods and structures and the evidence presented to the Assembly is relevant, accessible, balanced and proportionate;
- assisting with the identification of relevant experts to provide evidence to the Assembly;
- encouraging wider visibility and positive commentary upon the Assembly through advising on wider engagement activity and, although not advocating for the Assembly in a formal sense and acting within agreed parameters, commenting upon and explaining the work of the Assembly and the evidence presented to it through relevant professional networks. The Group operates in an advisory capacity only; decision making authority is retained by the Conveners or the Secretariat working on their behalf. The Group will report to Conveners and will not participate in providing evidence to the Assembly but may attend meetings of the Assembly and support its delivery in other ways.
The Group operates in an advisory capacity only; decision making authority is retained by the Conveners or the Secretariat working on their behalf. The Group will report to Conveners and will not participate in providing evidence to the Assembly but may attend meetings of the Assembly and support its delivery in other ways.
The Group will operate in an open and transparent manner. These terms of reference, names of Group members, minutes of meetings and details of the advice provided to the Conveners will be published on the Assembly website. The members of the Group are appointed by the Conveners and have a responsibility to and are expected to act in a cooperative and collegiate manner. Appointments are made on the basis of relevant expertise and availability. Membership of the Group is in a voluntary capacity and will not be remunerated. Members will be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in this role. The Group will meet monthly during the period of the Assembly commencing in September 2019 and will provide such advice and commentary on an individual or collective basis between meetings as may be required and as other commitments permit.